Old May 9th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 300XL GPS Approach didn't arm

On 05/09/06 12:55, Steve S wrote:
I was flying a practice approach today and loaded the approach (Full
approach GPS 20 at RUQ, Rowan County, NC) into my Garmin 300XL. I flew the
approach from initial fix to the final fix but the approach never armed and
consequently never activated. The approach showed as active on the route
page but the annunciator light (arm or active) never lit. The message page
said the approach was not active.
Has anyone experienced this before?

During my instrument training, my CFII and I were flying into a local
non-towered airport using the Garmin GNS 430 and a GPS approach. After
passing the FAF, the unit put up a message that the approach was not
active.

We didn't know what caused it, and after thinking about it for some
time we assumed that we didn't actually "activate" the approach (this
is a separate step in the 430, don't know about your unit).

However, we were sure that we had activated it, but there you go.

Also, I've only seen it the one time, but I haven't used the 430 that
much.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA