Old October 30th 16, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Comparing Drjack XCSkies RASP and TopMeteo - U.S. Soaring - Comments?

At 22:22 30 October 2016, WaltWX wrote:
I am interested in hear U.S. glider pilot comments on the pros/cons

of all
=
these sites for soaring forecasts. I have used them all at one time or
anot=
her and find them generally comparable. But, some like RASP and

DrJack do
a=
much better job of locating convergence zones/shear lines.
Geo-referencing=
data and ease of use varies a lot. The biggest difficulty is that

archive
=
and looking at past forecasts makes it difficult to do inter

comparisons.

Your inputs will valuable to me as I am in the process of writing an
articl=
e for Soaring magazine discussing the basic of Numerical Weather
Prediction=
and how it relates to these soaring web sites.

Walt Rogers WX

Hi Walt,
I use DrJack a lot here in the northeast. I find it a little pessimistic
in
forecasting cu development, but also pretty good for me to see the
maritime convergence setting up along the Hudson river going north.
RO