Old May 25th 05, 07:22 PM
Ron Natalie

Antoņio wrote:

I've been told you can play tricks with DUAT, filing an IFR flight
plan and putting "VFR" in the remarks section, but you shouldn't have
to resort to subterfuge like that for what seems like such a simple
and logical thing. "

Your reply seemed to imply that he could obtain flight following by
putting "VFR" in the altitude box. I take it you were only saying that
this will generate a strip on him which, in turn, will make it easier
for him to request flight following?

It's not really subterfuge. The IFR box gets it automatically routed
to approach. This is because there's no indication that a VFR flight
plan ever needs to go to ATC...it would generate a lot of strips that
were never used if they did. It's the same whether the strip is filed
by DUAT or by the FSS briefer. If it goes to ATC it's because someone
ticked IFR in the first block.