Old February 13th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

Default HID Landing Light

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

I'm not sure about that.. This is a 30W lamp, and most auto headlights are
35W. You can buy aftermarket auto stuff that is 50W, but that's about the
limit.\

I have to admit that I had not investigated that, and am surprised that the
auto units are only 35 watts.

One of the issues I've always *thought* existed with stuff pulled from an
auto is that you may also need to use the headlight lens that came with
the car, because the lights themselves only include a reflector, bulb, and
ballast, but not an optic. I think a Lexus (tm) headlight lens assembly
would look pretty unusual on my RV-6. ;-)

Indeed! G

The advantage of this kit (seemingly) is that it has all the optics
included and it is small enough to fit into the existing landing light
mount with minor modifications.

You have made some good points. At $149, that is a deal, compared to the
prices of the other HID units in their inventory. This must be an intro
price, or something.
--
Jim in NC