Old June 24th 04, 04:28 PM
Greg Copeland

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:22:05 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

"EDR" wrote in message
In article , GE
wrote:

I'm taking delivery today of my first aircraft and it had a constant

speed
prop. I have only flown fixed props thus far. I want to have as much
understanding of the c-s prop as possible before I get with my

instructor. I
understand the basic difference in what the controls do, but I don't

really
have a good understanding of the hows and whys of flying with them. Any
general information, explanations, and tips would be greatly

appreciated.

Go to www.avweb.com
on the left side of the screen, select COLUMNS
scroll down to find THE PELICAN"S PERCH
there are articles on fuel injection, manifold pressure, constant speed
props, leaning, etc
Everything you ever want to know about operating a high performance
aircraft engine is in those articles.

While I would agree that John Deakin is worth reading, people who are new to
high performance engines and constant speed propellers should be aware that
Deakin has many views that are highly controversial, to say the least,
especially when it comes to his religious crusade to get everyone to run
their engines lean of peak (which, of course, has spawned a full-scale
counter-reformation movement that tries to get everyone to run their engines
rich of peak).

EDR will eventually be converted to one side or the other and will run his
own airplane the way he sees fit, much to the disgust of those pilots that
will think he has gone over to the dark side.

If you are renting an airplane, though, run it the way the owner/operator
wants it treated, which is invariably in accordance with the manufacturer's
operating instructions.

Timely posting! That was going to be my next post. It bothered me how
lean he was suggesting the engine should be run. I guess that answers
that.

As usual, great advice!

Cheers!