Old July 26th 03, 08:38 PM
John Harper

There was a post a year or two back by someone who acted as
some kind of CRM inspector on a KAL flight into SFO. Based on
that I would never fly KAL again (or let anyone I care about do so).
It was horrific. Unfortunately a quick Google doesn't find it. Things
like not only flying through their own (28R) localizer but also the
28L loc and generally heading for the hills before realizing anything
was wrong, and a lot of commentary about the internal culture.

We're all supposed to be able to detect a failed AI and do the
right thing. Not saying we'd all be perfect (including me) in the
heat of the moment, but even so this is pretty astonishing.

John

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...
"Julian Scarfe" wrote
It's the long-awaited report into the loss of a KAL cargo 747
shortly after departure from London Stansted just before
Christmas 1999. The Captain's AI was faulty (or possibly the
INU used as attitude input to the AI was faulty). Despite the
presence of a First Officer with a serviceable AI in front of
him, a third standby instrument that was apparently operating
normally and a Flight Engineer who prompted the Captain to
cross-check the AIs, the aircraft was lost along with the lives
of all 4 aboard.

Back in the 70's, when KAL first started flying 707s
internationally, several of my furloughed PanAm friends
took copilot jobs with them primariy to provide an English
speaking capability. The horror stories that they brought
back would turn your hair white.
Their lack of anything resembling a CRM program is obvious.

Bob Moore