Old October 25th 03, 04:13 AM
Paul Remde

Hi,

It has always been my understanding that you can mount the GPS antenna near
(above) metal or carbon fiber without problems. If you mount it below the
metal or carbon fiber, you will have problems. As long as you mount the GPS
antenna so that the metal or carbon fiber will not block its view of the GPS
satellites, you will get good signal. It may actually help to have metal or
carbon fiber below the antenna. I am not an expert on radio signal
transmission, but I have played with a lot of GPS units.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Anthony McNicholas" wrote
in message ...
The Volkslogger manual states that 'During installation,
assure that the integral antenna has a clear view of
the sky and is not shielded by metal or carbon fiber
parts.' (there is no similar comment in the Colibri
version 3.0 manual.)

Has anyone with GPS units mounted on carbon panels
encountered reception problems? Would a carbon pannel
interfere with reception if the back of the GPS antenna
is flush against a carbon pannel even if the top of
the antenna still had a 'clear view of the sky' vertically
upwards?

Does anyone know if there is an external antenna option
for Volksloggers? Also, now that the Colibri seems
to have a built-in antenna as standard is there an
external antenna option for it also?