Old January 6th 04, 03:46 PM
Peter R.

Default Thundersnow - Destructive turbulence?

Right now there is a pretty intense lake-enhanced band of snow going on to
the north of my home airport. Twenty four to thirty six inches (0.6 to 1
meter) of snow is expected in that narrow region over the next day. The
forecasters included lightning and thunder in their discussion of this band
of snow.

I understand why there is the forecast of thunder and lightning activity,
what they call "thundersnow," during this snow event but I am curious about
the turbulence.

Could an intense lake effect band of snow produce destructive turbulence
equal to that found inside a strong thunderstorm? My guess would be no,
but I am certainly no expert. Anyone?

--
Peter