Old May 18th 04, 08:27 PM
Carl Frisk

True Greg, I was just adding emphasis to the 'it's not a cure all' while confirming that I agree it is the only choice I
would make for a Win file system. The one time I ever saw a problem with NTFS was in transferring large files around
800GB to another drive on another machine. It turned out to be the PERC2 controller! As soon as the NTFS developer
talked to the Dell engineer and sent the Debug info Dell sent a prototype card next day and we were back up and running.
The lock up froze both machines until you rebooted one or the other. That was fixed around a year ago. We had both
engineers onsite on Friday and it was fixed by Monday on both NTFS and the PERC2.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Greg Copeland" wrote in message news
On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:24:09 +0000, Carl Frisk wrote:

Well, I don't believe I offered it as cure all. In fact, I said, "NTFS is
much, much better than FAT", which it is. Just the same, FAT is stone
age technology which was been grafted with what, three of four major
technology improvements just to keep it running on modern hardware.
Accordingly, NTFS represents a modern filesystem which has many, many
advantages (journal, better disk space management, security, better
caching, faster searches, faster recovery, fragmentation & corruption
resistance, etc, etc) and little to no disadvantges (more memory used and
requires that you make recovery disks). Even with hard drive writes, NTFS
is a better solution. The reason being, the journal will allow the FS to
return to a known good state. That's the whole point. Of course, that's
not saying you won't or can't lose data and/or files!

Which does remind me! If you convert your boot drive to NTFS, MAKE SURE
YOU CREATE YOUR RECOVERY DISKS!!!!!

NTFS is not the cure all your proclaiming it to be. Though I would never go back to FAT. He may also be having hard
drive problems, or cable problems, or power problems. Is he caching hard drive writes?

NTFS does keep a somewhat hidden transaction log that consumes more space on your hard drive than FAT.

So I agree use NTFS. Far superior to FAT. Check your Event Log periodically for drive errors.