Old July 21st 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

Default Best homebuilt for ~700 nm commute

On Jul 20, 9:21*pm, BobR wrote:
On Jul 20, 2:26 pm, es330td wrote:

On Jul 16, 9:57 pm, "Jim Stockton" me@nowhere wrote:

" With fuel prices, that would be a significant difference. --
Jim in NC

Following that I would suggest Airtran to DFW. They can handle almost any
weather that you couldn't and a ticket is about the same as 25 gal of avgas.
Alot more practical and a lot less likely to make a smoking hole due to got
to get there pressure. If you want to fly a homebuilt do it, just don't try
to reliably commute in it.
My 2 cents worth.
Jim Stockton

If I can't fly myself the commute becomes impossible. My home is
almost 2 hours drive from KATL and the place I would be is 1.5 hours
from KHOU. *My trip one way is 3.5 hours before I am on an airport
property. *Factor in security, loading the plane and flight time and
one way is now 7 hours. *Doing that twice in a weekend leaves me with
almost no time as I am dependent on carrier schedules. *I can afford
the avgas but I can't afford the time.

In the late 60's and early 70's I used to commute between Houston and
Dallas on almost a daily basis. *Texas International used to offer a
weekly ticket called the Consecutive Executive. *You paid one price
for a weekly pass that allowed you to fly anywhere TI serviced through
out the week. *It was great and worked well for me since I lived 10
minutes from the airport in Houston and the office was 5 minutes from
Love field in Dallas. *There was no real security checkin and you just
walked to the boarding gate, showed you ticket and walked on.

Even if they offered such a bargain today I don't think it would be
possible to do this today with all the issues of security and check
in. *Even if you live close to the airport at both locations, the time
to commute would take longer by commercial than by private plane for
anything less than 800-1000 miles depending on aircraft. *I really
believe the distance is probably even greater but allowing for a fuel
stop does affect the time.

What I would recommend is looking for a 4-place aircraft with a bit
more stability. *I know that many of the 2-place homebuilts have the
range and speed you are looking for but would be concerned about the
workload factor on long routine flights. *You don't want a plane that
you have to fly every minute of the flight. *Most of the 4-place
planes have slightly heaver wing loading and will give you a smoother
flight. *I am building a Pulsar Super Cruiser (KIS Cruiser) that would
make an outstanding choice. *I would also recommend the RV10 if you
don't mind the larger engine and increased fuel burn.- Hide quoted text -

I also intend to do this with a good autopilot. If I am going to be
thinking about doing this regularly by myself spending 5k+ on good
avionics is cheap in consideration of the safety factor it adds.