Old December 6th 03, 09:53 AM
Kristen Skinner

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Kristen Skinner wrote:

In telecom industries,
smaller operators can set up easily,

Unfortunately, this hasn't proven to be often the case. Just look at

what's
occurred with the broadband market, for example. RBOCs did everything

that
could to make life tough for the competition using the RBOC's physical
plant, and it typically worked.

There are individual exceptions, and wireless may prove to be our savior.
But that type of external influence isn't too likely in the ATC
business...and it may not break us away from the RBOCs anyway. Verizon's
been using its physical plant of payphones in NYC as wireless bases. A
newcomer would be hardpressed to compete given that the Verizon locations
are already wired and uniformly spread throughout the city.

the
only difference is that there isa huge power shift to that company's
management structure who will squeeze every ounce out of their

workforce.

Actually, this could work in reverse. No longer government employees, the
ATC staff would regain the right to strike.

Still...even that hasn't really helped the telecom unions.

- Andrew

Well, I dont know about the US...in the UK, we always had the right to
strike. I guess after Reagan's little action, you might have been stifled
somewhat.