Old May 24th 05, 05:56 PM
Maule Driver

Agreed. It depends. From where I base near KRDU, I can get cleared
direct towards almost anywhere except DC/Phillie/NY. Routing is almost
never a reason for me. Even direct thru Charlotte will usually get
cleared then amended - but same for VFR.

Coming back for Annapolis MD (DC ADIZ)last week I filed airways all the
way home but not long after clearing the PXT (where all the MOAs were
hot, the Potomac controller asked for my direct home. I didn't
understand at first and didn't give it. She cleared me direct on her
own initiative. Turned out she picked the exact point from which I
could go direct while missing the hot MOAs south of Richmond. Nice
work! That was a first.

The alternate thing is interesting. In VMC, I just file IFR anyway.
When I get close I'll either amend if I want to go further or cancel and
go to FF. Nothing wrong with planning for IFR fuel and flying VFR fuel
once there. Kind of good conservative planning. I'll do that next week
flying to Tampa. With 4.5 hours, I can and have made Tampa without a
stop but never plan it. I will file and get a clearance and see how it
works this time.

But all this is *very* geo dependent. YMMV

Jose wrote:
Happens less now. I generally file IFR unless there is a specific
reason to file VFR beyond CAVU. Why give up the extra eyes for
traffic,extra traffic separation standards, airspace management (MOA,
prohibited, restricteed obstacle avoidance), and TFR avoidance
services unless there is a clear advantage to not filing.

Time, range, and convetion. VFR you can usually go direct. IFR you get
routed around willy nilly so you use more gas and time, and require
reserves to an alternate plus forty five minutes after a non-direct
flight. Sometimes this makes a one leg flight into two legs, and the
VFR option is better (even from a safety POV).

Not always. Sometimes.

Jose