Old December 20th 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Buy Glider without looking

wrote on 12/18/2017 11:55 AM:
The common problem from a buyer's POV is that if you are going to travel a long way to get a glider, you are in a very weak position to dicker when you get there. It's a whole lot smarter to have somebody you trust look it over for you, even if you pay them something ... than to drive a 1000 miles and then face going home empty handed, or upset that you wouldn't have paid that much "had you known."

Twice, I dealt with that problem by meeting the seller half-way. Then, each of you
are in the same position; also, it's in his interest to ensure you know what the
glider is like, and to make sure the trailer is road-worthy. These were for
gliders costing less than $13,000 each.

If you are buying an expensive glider (say, $40,000 or more), fly there and look
at it. A few hundred dollars for an airline ticket is only a 1% or so of your
acquisition cost, and could save you many thousands.