Old February 2nd 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

Default what features are in the next generation of flight computers

On 1 feb, 16:35, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
Highly accurate real-time vector wind data.
Inertial variometry with instantaneous response and no gust sensitivity.
High speed internet access for weather updates and position downlinks.

Bill Daniels

"Peter" wrote in message

newsan.2007.02.01.06.54.07.157286@prosys...

I've been daydreaming about flight computers...

Not the ones we have now, but the next generation... I haven't seen any
significant step changes in the functions the current generation
provide...

So I started day dreaming... and I came up with a wish-list, (now some of
these are obviously possible and others are definitely dream-time
illusions)

- colour displays (properly daylight readable)
- FLARM(or ADS-B or whatever) functionality
- Lite-Transponders
- live bidirectional position datalinks for competitions or team flying
- some form of remote sensing for likely lift areas (infrared, radar)
- Full digital panel (vario, alt, asi, horizon)
- really detailed maps (even 3d maps, like google earth ?)
- anti-gravity... erm... running out of ideas :-)

What else would/could you add to the list... and have you an idea of how
to implement it...

Peter

Except for that I'd like to see the real-time position of each glider
around (flarm, Mode-S?) including vertical speed so that you can see
lift ratios accurately...
A videocamera at the tail sounds nice in really tight thermals; those
basterds tends to hide at your six.
And what about an audio player? Screaming along @ 300 km/h with Carl
Orff sounds rather cool...