Old November 23rd 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Inadvertant IMC - DG1000, Manawatu, New Zealand

Outside controlled airspace, I believe the air regulations in various countries only require "clear of cloud" when below 1000' AGL.

Turning upwind into cloud brings on some navigational challenges, even if you have the instruments and skills.Turning back in cloud to parallel an invisible ridge or try to regain visual in a strong wind before smacking a rock is a crapshoot. Any airway in a mountainous region has a minimum 2000' AGL clearance over terrain.

In defense of the pilots, the camera has a limited view. My impression is that it was severe clear above until sink put them into the soup.