Old July 22nd 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Orphaned Engine

On Jul 21, 12:58*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

As far as that goes, how about a small blurb on the type 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and
how many other types there are? g

Types? They number in the low HUNDREDS, from the basic beetle or Type
I to some NATO aviation support vehicles, Type 338 and higher.

Volkswagen has ALWAYS reserved 'Type' to define the CHASSIS.

Volkswagen engines have ALWAYS been defined by a number approximating
their displacement: 1100, 1500, etc. What Ami-Ricans refer to as the
'Type 4 engine' is actually three engines, the 1700, 1800 and 2000,
which was installed in about a dozen different vehicles, not counting
the applications from the Industrial Engine Divsion.

About the time I think I am understanding VW's, someone brings up "type 1,
only," and my eyes start to glaze over. *;-) *Like just basic, like what
years, cars they were used in, and the main differences between them.

Variations to the basic VW engines probably number in the thousands;
you can line up at least a hundred variations in the heads alone.
Since the changes were incorporated within production runs you will
need a full set of Factory Service Manuals to learn the serial numbers
of when such changes started and stopped.

Since the Type 1 used SIX different engines over the years, and ALL of
those included variations, the type vs displacement thingy is a handy
way to determine if a person is just running their mouth or if they
actually know something about VW engines.

But that has little to do with converting a VW engine for flight since
you should base your build on all new, universal replacement parts.

I wish they had made a 6 cylinder bug engine, with decent heads. *That would
be a much better aero engine, me thinks.

They did. It's called the Corvair :-)

-R.S.Hoover