Old February 26th 05, 03:36 PM
David Kinsell

Paul Remde wrote:

"David Kinsell" wrote in message

Stewart Kissel wrote:

http://dhost.info/Paragliding/Pages/...mexico2005.htm

Stunning POV vid of this accident sequence...

Yep, really makes you want to stick with plastic wings, doesn't it?

-Dave

P.S. Your word wrap is set really tight, making for annoying chopped-up
links.
It's fixed in this posting.

That is a very interesting video. What would cause a spiral dive like that?

Paul Remde

I assume the canopy collapsed due to turbulence, and the shroud lines got
twisted and kept it collaped in the spiral. I'm sure he wasn't flying in
his normal configuration in the spiral, like a rigid wing craft does. I
suppose it was more of a spin than a spiral dive. That's always made me
nervous about ballistic chutes for regular gliders. If you're going to
deploy the chute, you may well be in a spin, making the successful deployment
of the chute questionable.

-Dave