Old December 18th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Who's Boss?

"Wyatt Emmerich" wrote in message

I'm flying into my home base KHKS at night in a single engine airplane. At
no point have I been outside of glide range to an airport. I am VFR
shooting a practice full approach in Class C airspace going into a Class D
airport. The controller wants me to descend to 2,000 feet five miles
before the FAF for traffic (which I can plainly see.) I want to stay at
4,000 and stay within glide range and descend more slowly. Do I have the
authority to tell him no?

You can tell him you have the traffic in sight, then he can assign visual
separation and there's no reason for him to push you down.