Old July 10th 03, 01:23 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Justin Maas wrote:
I was wondering why the FAA hasn't cracked down on some of the ambiguity
and differences in interpretation exercised by FSDOs.

Good question

Since we all have a
Federal certificate, shouldn't interpretations be standardized?

It would be nice, provided it didn't develop into an "every question
must be referred to Big Brother and we're still waiting for his
response" situation

Is there a
good flow of communication from FSDO to FSDO?

Apparently not

Justin, lack of FSDO standardization has been an issue for years now,
especially wrt airplane maintenance (one FSDO will sign off on a 337
for something another asserts is unairworthy)

In a good move, they told flight schools that having two MEIs fly an x-c and
sign each other off is wrong and no way to log time.

What's wrong with this? It sounds like this FSDO is making up rules.
If I fly with an MEI, he can log the time; why can't I log the time
simply because I also am an MEI? Is the idea that instructors have
nothing further to learn from other instructors? I say "bunk", and
nothing in the regulations that I'm aware of prohibits this.

But yes, it's another example of lack of standardization, and I
agree, it's a problem

Cheers,
Sydney