Old April 5th 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Benedict Smith

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Sean
Have a look at the OGN wiki, there you will find details of the OGN
tracker,
the basic one can be built for around £20 (30US) and can be tracked in
exactly the same way a FLARM can, (same frequency and compatible position
and identity encoding) they work well and I have 2 in the room with me at
the moment, a single lithium cell runs them self contained for 10-20hours.
They don't provide any collision avoidance but if all you want is tracking
they
are fine, they can also log your flight to an optional SD card and be
fitted with
a barometric module for increased altitude accuracy (and work as a non
compensated vario).
Ben

At 19:33 05 April 2017, Sean Fidler wrote:
Martin, I was referring to the obvious requirement for each "tracked" US
gl=
ider to contain a nearly $2000 USD powerFlarm device, not the cost of the
F=
larm radar antenna. The folks here in the US are often quite sensitive

=
that cost and feel that Flarm leeching is a suitable means of winning
compe=
titions. Yes, really.

http://www.craggyaero.com/powerflarm_core1.

I have a question for you. Is Flarm "required" in Europe or optional?

If
=
so, what are the penalties for non-compliance? If not unanimous, what
Euro=
pean countries require Flarm, and what countries do not? Thx.

Sean