View Single Post
Old May 13th 20, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 9:05:32 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 5:43:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Your strapped in, closed up, checklist complete, hooked up.............then something stops the launch! It’s hot inside your closed up cockpit and it looks like a several minute delay, so you open up the canopy. How can you insure you latch the canopy again?
Here’s a little trick I’ve used for 48 years....................leave your hand on the canopy latch! May be a little uncomfortable, but your hand on the canopy latch is there to remind you that something must be done, before you are once again READY FOR TAKEOFF.
Just my .02 cents,
JJ

What part of my solution didn't you guys understand? There's a fairly simply technological solution that circumvents human failings, and that is an automatically actuated tow release. Professional airline pilots which have two pilots in the cockpit with electronic checklists still screw up. If that's the solution I guarantee that towplane upsets will continue to happen.

The tow pilot is in a very vulnerable situation: he/she is totally dependent upon the correct performance of the glider pilot. One towplane upset accident is one too many.

Tom

Since you seem to have the problem solved, it seems that you have a real opportunity to create a product that will be in demand.
Maybe the first place to start would be a functional specification.
Go for it.
UH