Old May 14th 20, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

One of the more surprising things I have learned as a CFIG over last four seasons is how ****ty glider pilots are as a group in terms of cockpit discipline on take off and departure. They mess with switches, knobs, windows, cameras, water bottles, you name it. I threw a fit about this and said "I'm going to insist on sterile cockpits below 1000'".

I got push back on that from an /instructor/.

Let's talk about open canopies.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0I75OZmA-0

As far as I can see, he did one thing, and only one thing correct: keep the tow together until he had an easy approach to a safe landing. Everything else about the decision making on that flight is just wrong. What was he going to do if he got badly out of position, pull the release with his teeth?

Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJCGxQ_4zo

(wtf does the instructor have a hand held camera?)

That one is just pure luck. Most times, a canopy that opens on tow will be damaged and will not reclose properly.

C'mon, instructors, let's step up.

Flight reviews are a perfect opportunity for refreshing emergency procedures.

Evan Ludeman