Old May 23rd 20, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default 2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

It did happen to me in 2006 in a LS4 in Minden, low altitude, but landed safely. A sudden bump in the air caused me to release prematurely. I just keep my left hand on my left knee since then - it could be the release or the airbrakes or a fly in my nose that the hand will have to go to.

Late to this thread but years ago a discussion as to what to
hold with your left hand got many replies that it was
potentially dangerous to hold the release knob! (Sounds
rubbish to me). The thinking was that the pilot might
accidentally release the low. In the UK I was taught (many
many decades ago) to hold the release. A surprising number
of people said this was wrong?
A quick trawl of YouTube videos shows most pilots not holding
the release during the launch!
I've never heard of or seen an accidental release; doubtless
they happen but the results are not, I assume, fatal for the
poor tug pilot.