Old June 29th 04, 02:16 PM
Bushy

Aircraft engines are designed for
sustained, high RPM operation, automobile engines for a mix of stop and go
driving and sustained high speeds. And as long as the engine is operated
within it's design parameters you should receive satisfactory service.

Even my old Ford "tractor motor", a pushrod 250 cubic inch six, purrs along
the highway at a designed (and legal in most of Australia) 100kmh (55%
cruise) at about 3000rpm in 4th gear, drop it back to a economical 5th gear
(look, a variable pitch prop!) and I can crank it out to a whole lot more
than that for a good highway run, even without the speed cameras it will do
200kmh (Vne?) and sit on 160 kmh (75% cruise?) in the long roads in the
Northern Territory (unrestricted speed limit) even in summer, overtake many
another vehicle and plenty of hills that cause it to climb and descend, from
full throttle back to idle.

Mind you, it has had the odd problem over the years, but most of them have
been expected items for motor cars like: water pump, fan belt, spark plug
leads, alternator, flat tyres and so on. If it had the same work done to it
that most aircraft get, like a 100 hourly service, if it received a proper
runup in the morning before heading off to work, (Bloody hell, I'm late
again! Better hit the loud pedal!), or had the oil checked more often than
once a month if I remember, or when the oil light comes on, whichever occurs
first, if it had a fresh batch of pretty green coolant and a fresh radiator
hose or two, at least every other year, then it would have run as nicely as
any aircraft engine that I've played with.

The only reason I'm not going to put one in my homebuilt is that I don't
feel like coming in for a forced landing strapped to that dirty great big
chunk of steel!

Hope this helps,
Peter