Old January 16th 04, 12:53 AM
mikem

Roy Smith wrote:
Researching a question from a club member, I read in the FAR's:

§ 23.207 Stall warning.
[...]
(b) The stall warning may be furnished either through the inherent
aerodynamic qualities of the airplane or by a device that will give
clearly distinguishable indications under expected conditions of flight.

Every plane I've ever flown has a mechanical stall warning device (some
visual, some aural), but apparantly it's possible to certify a plane
without one. Does anybody know of any real life examples of planes
certified without stall warning devices?

Roy,

I own a Piper Pacer (PA22/20, Tripacer converted to Tailwheel
configuration) It was originally built by Piper in 1958 (fairly late
model as TriPacers go). It has no stall warning vane/switch/horn/light,
and never had one. None of the PA12/14/20/22 series do. Dunno about
PA18.

This one has STCed add-on very droopy wingtips (inverted winglet). The
stall is very benign. Prestall indication is a slight buffet, followed
by the nose dropping (assuming you keep the yoke full back, i.e. you
are not proactively helping it recover), followed by self recovery as
a slight dive, followed by the nose going back up again for another
mini-stall... Sort of a "nodding" motion.

btw- the stall occurs at an indicated airspeed of ~45mph...

MikeM
PA22/20 Pacer '00Z see
http://home.utah.edu/~mgm17160/Island/flying.jpg