Old February 3rd 04, 02:24 AM
Jim Weir

Ron Wanttaja

-Hey, Jim, I've bought a Microair T2000 to replace the bum transponder in my
-Fly Baby. A couple of questions:
-
-1. The instructions say not to install the antenna within one meter of the
-unit. What's the limiting factor here? I always prefer short cable runs,
-and had a nice spot picked out 15 or so inches away. What problems is a
-near-by antenna introducing?

I'll be darned if I know. The unit is hogged out of a solid aluminum block and
is about as well shielded as anything I've ever seen. Perhaps they are relying
on the loss of the cable to mitigate any reflections from the antenna? I just
don't know. Me? I wouldn't worry about it. Put it where you will and we'll
solve any problems through experimentation.

-
-The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie, and I'd
-just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

You mean you are planning on having more kids?

-
-2. The Microair uses a DB-25 connector. I haven't soldered onto a
-connector like this for about eighteen years. I'm presuming the best
-approach would be to tin the wires, slide them into their locations, and
-solder them in place? Should I be using shrink tubing on each connection,
-too? (the connector itself has a strain relief).

That's how I did it. Yes, tiny shrink on each one just is belt-and-suspenders
protection.

-
-3. I'm about 99.99999% sure about this, but with $1500 on the line, I'd
-appreciate confirmation: When the installation manual shows the pin
-assignments for the DB-25 connector, the assignments are as if I am looking
-directly at the connector on the transponder...right? In other words, the
-connector itself will be a mirror of this diagram. That seems to be
-confirmed by the teeny teeny numbering on the DB-25 supplied with the unit.

PROBABLY so, but I don't have a copy of the final manual. Microair manuals
leave as whole LOT to be desired. The preliminary manual I have supports your
contention, but ...

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com