Old July 18th 03, 03:59 AM
David Smith

You would do #1 as you suggested. Then when you are given permission for
frequency change from the tower, open your flight plan with your local FSS,
then check in with SoCal with current position and altitude.
They do this out of Sacramento Executive also.

Have a great flight,
David Smith

"Yossarian" wrote in message
I just learned recently that this was possible at my little airport,
Hawthorne CA (KHHR). Presumably they get a squawk for you from SoCal and
arrange your radar coverage. Couple questions--

1. What is the phraseology of the request to ground?

--I'm guessing it's just "ground, cessna 1234 can you arrange

flight
following to xxx via y and z"

2. At what point would you contact SoCal, and what would your initial
callup be? I assume you don't "request" FF at that point since it's

already
been arranged, but I can't figure out what's best. Would you just report

in
as you would if you were being handed off to a tower or tracon controller?