Old September 13th 20, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default glider instructors in the US

On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 4:48:29 PM UTC-4, Zoltán Lengyel wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone from the US here ?

I'm just wondering, how glider instructors are payed in the US (and if there are any considerable differences here and there) - I'm a glider instructor with an EASA license, and I'm thinking about making an FAA conversion in the future, and I'm curious to see whether it's worth the effort.

Cheers from Europe

Zoltan (a.k.a. "Rocker")

Last I saw, our club "paid" (not in cash but credits against monthly dues or our own flying) $2US per training/ride flight EXCEPT for junior members which are "free".
A commercial operation maybe you make a small amount, not likely to support a house/family.
Old joke, how do you make a small fortune in aviation....start with a large fortune.
Good years, I made enough with rides and instruction (club) to cover monthly dues and my tows.....I still paid for my gas/car wear getting to/from the airport (about 35 miles each way).