Old April 26th 12, 03:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Off-topic question about on-topic picture - car.jpg [50K]

On 2012-04-25 13:26:24 -0700, Netko said:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 03:20:55 +0100, wrote
(in article ):

Must be a British car the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

I'd be happy to live in a world where right is wrong and left is right if
only someone could tell me what kind of car it is.

Attached is an enlargement of the vehicle to see if that helps. It seems to
me to have a fairly distinctive body shape and surely somebody must recognise
that badge/logo on the radiator grill. Then again, what I know about makes
and models of cars would barely fill a thimble.

And, to set the record straight, the picture was taken at Bournemouth's
Aviation Week in July 1910 and not as I said originally. It was at the same
event that Charles Rolls, co-founder of Rolls-Royce, was killed when taking
part in a spot landing competition. Rolls was only the second person in the
UK to be killed in an aviation accident (the first being Percy Pilcher in
1899).

image

I am not able to ID the vehicle myself. However, I have posted an ID
request, together with both of your images, in one of the best
automotive forum sites,
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com in their
Classic Car forum.
I will report any response which might be forthcoming.

Well, my guys at Ultimatecarpage seem to have come through. The vehicle
is apparently a custom coachwork, 1910 Delahaye Type 32 Roadster.

The radiator badge is not a "B", but the stylized Delahaye badge of the
pre-WWI "Brass car" era.
Then the radiator itself is positively diagnostic.

Here is that badge & radiator so you can make your own comparison.

--
Regards,

Savageduck
Attached Thumbnails