Old October 7th 17, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 4:05:08 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 5:21:37 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

ATC wants them below 10k' so they are below the 250kt limit. This is to handle busy airspace and help with workload.

Interested to know if this can be confirmed.

-T8

Take a peek at Flight Aware for almost any Class B at which you look. Right now, KORD, 4000 msl 280 kts for a SW 737. Night, junky weather, 1am local, so not much glider worries. But, it has been my observation there are not many air Traffic Cops worried about Part 121 speeders. Perhaps that is an entirely different thread.

Yes, I think transponders in gliders are hugely helpful. But I think pilot education has similar value. Awareness of Patterns of traffic use by all categories is incumbent on all pilots. One of my favorite Cindy-isms is that we shouldn't be playing volleyball on the freeway in rush hour.
We should know the paths heavies mostly use.

We shouldn't call Class E airspace 'uncontrolled'. Controlled airspace means places that IFR traffic can be routed. It does not mean places that a glider must request a clearance before entering. Since IFR traffic can be routed in Class E, those guys need to know that on VFR days they MUST look outside. That a controller and flight plan is NOT sweeping their path clean.

Awareness & education must take place on all three sides of the fence.... GA, Part 121/135 and ATC. (was that a mixed metaphor? sorry. sort of.) It is a blessing that many glider operations have been proactive - in education and in installations of hardware. Need to cross a freeway? Listen in on the Approach freq and learn who's roaring through.

Perhaps we accept this occasion as an opportunity to educate our family, again. We are not the only folks out there in the sky, and we are VERY difficult to see. Even with a TXP active and ATC giving the other guy warnings, I have had to leap out of the path...of the fast guy.

Cindy B