Old January 19th 04, 08:32 PM
Go Fig

In article . net,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Werner J. Severin" wrote in message

Their fair share for ALL programs is the same as everyone else.
If they are "unconstitutional, unworkable,immoral programs" then convince
the majority and have them repealed. It's called democracy.

The Constitution of the United States of America

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union,
establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common
defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty
to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution
for the United States of America.

Note: "promote the general welfare"

The phrase "promote the general welfare" does not mean what you think it
does.

President Franklin Pierce was confronted with this situation, this is
what he said years and years ago... he is still correct today:

"I readily and, I trust, feelingly acknowledge the duty incumbent on us
all as men and citizens, and as among the highest and holiest of our
duties, to provide for those who, in the mysterious order of
Providence, are subject to want and to disease of mind; but I cannot
find any authority in the Constitution for making the Federal
Government the great almoner [one who gives something to the poor] of
public charity throughout the United States. To do so would, in my
judgment, be contrary to the letter and spirit of the Constitution and
subversive of the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is
founded...'the powers not delegated to the United States by the
Constitution nor prohibited by it to the States are reserved to the
States respectively or to the people."

jay
Mon Jan 19, 2004