Old August 18th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie

Default At risk of starting a religious war.

At 17:06 18 August 2007, Js wrote:

The rear seat of the DG-1000 has adjustable height,
a unique feature.
Jim

The DG rear seat adjust is by a variable length strap,
similar to a seat harness adjust. Unfortunately, on
a heavy landing the strap fitting can break at the
seat, resulting in the pilot accelerating down until
he meets the fuselage coming up, and causing serious
back injury. This has happened on a DG500 (identical
arrangement) and the answer on British gliders was
to remove the strap and instead adjust the height by
different thicknesses of shock absorbing foam. With
the change in airworthiness to conform to Europe it
is much more difficult to do this officially now, but
if I had a DG1000 instead of an ASH25 (I suffer the
worse handling - we all have to make sacrifices.......)
there would be no strap, and shock-foam under my rear
seat.