Old March 1st 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RW[_2_]

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:19:19 AM UTC-5, Richard Walters wrote:
At 00:38 24 February 2013, Sean F F2 wrote:

Good idea. I'll see if we can put something together. =20

In general, the USRC openly considers FAI rules to be

dangerous and

irrespo=

nsible and their US rules alternative (dictated to the US soaring

community=

) as the solution to FAIs dangerous irresponsibility. In

addition, the

USR=

C believes that their rules are not only safer but superior in

generating

=

flourishing contest attendance (especially with new or casual

contest

pilot=

s). In other words, US pilots would not fly FAI rule events as

they are

to=

o "hard core.". US rules on the other hand, with there

increased safety

an=

d "decreased likelihood" of land outs greatly improves

attendance. No

need=

for crews, less difficult tasks, etc.

We (probably 100 US and Candian pilots, almost 60 have

signed) see FAI

rule=

s as real/true glider racing (Assigned tasks and Assigned Area

tasks

only).=

The rest of the world soaring community (VIRTUALLY EVERY

OTHER COUNTRY

ON=

THE PLANET BASICALLY) happily uses FAI rules for every

contest and has

sin=

ce the sport began. Statistically safety is approximately equal

between

th=

e World standard FAI rules and the essentially obscure US

rules. The US

is=

in isolation from the rest of the world as we are almost a

different

sport=

(checkers vs. chess). The US rules are 2-3x longer than FAI

rules for

exa=

mple.

I personally would like to see, for now, that US regionals retain

the US

ru=

les and national championships should immediately adopt FAI

rules as they

q=

ualify US pilots for the World Championship. I want there to be

a choice

i=

n the USA. I wish to disarm the USRC of the ability to act as

dictators

to=

all US pilots (and contests) on what rules are best to use. I

think

there=

is significant misinformation about the FAI rules in the USA

because of a

=

bit if a publicity campaign against them for a reason I do not

fully

unders=

tand. I think there is clearly (sixty signatures from jr pilots to

top US

=

world level pilots) strong demand for FAI rules events within

the US

dispit=

e this negative publicity campaign by the USRC. I feel the

USRC is on a

bi=

t of a crusade to somehow pressure change the FAIs rules and

uses the US

co=

ntests as a test lab.

I'll work on the table and post it to a webpage.

Sean

Sean,

Since I am apparently part of this negative publicity campaign,

please answer how 80 pounds of lead in the cockpit is not an

issue with you? You have never responded to my comments on

the pitfalls of IGC CC rules. A skinny pilot in a Discus A has to

load up to MTOW that matches a heavy guy in a Discus B,

otherwise he is giving up a lot of performance. A heavy guy in

an ASW20 can not enter Club Class because he falls outside the

handicap range.

Our US sports class rules modify the handicap up and down to

allow for weight differences. Progressive, smart and safe. What

a concept.

For the record I have flown 8 IGC contests.

Former dictator,

Richard Walters 3R

Rick, I dont see any problem even with 200lb ballast as long you have it secured and within the weight and ballast limits.
Max weight for club class glider comes from manufacturer manual(not invented by IGC).It is total max, less wings water(tail water ok)
If your heavy pilot 'falls outside the
handicap range"in IGC contest he can not legally fly anywhere.(US or rest of the world)
Ryszard