Old June 29th 04, 06:53 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:28:43 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another.

Actually, I think you'll find a Piper Cub is always a J-3.

While a "Piper Cub" may not be a Taylorcraft or an Aeronca, I've seen
it applied quite comfortably to a J-4 and (IIRC) J-6. They probably
had a proper corporate nomenclature, but as canvas-sided,
tail-dragging, Continental-powered, products of Piper Aircraft, they
pretty much got stuck with the moniker.

I got my first flying lessons and solo hours in a J-3 and wish
fervently that I owned one today. Not much good for travel, but it was
easy to "dance the sky" and the yellow aero-doped wings were pretty
easy to "laughter-silver."

Got my first (student) license supension and grounding flying a PA-22
Colt. And passed my Private license check flight in a PA-18 Super
Cub--damn complex, it had a radio and flaps!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press