Old December 29th 04, 09:03 PM
Matt Whiting

john wrote:

Andrei Dumitrescu wrote:

Hi folks,

To my greatest surprise, my girlfriend got me the Flight Simulator
2004 for Christmas. Though I didn't touch one for years, I've always
loved flight sims and was eager to try out this one - only to find out
that it's a real downer with only the keyboard and mouse. I'm looking
now for a joystick, but since it's been a very long time since my
hardcore gaming days I've no clue whatsoever as to what joystick would
be a good buy. I can only spend a modest amount on it (and probably
try to get it on eBay anyway).
Not sure what features / options I should be looking for. I guess I'll
have to do without force feedback (cost limitation). An analog
throttle control would probably be nice, but I'm not sure if I would
really need it.
Most important imo would be precise handling. Also, it doesn't have to
be a brand new model, if anyone has used an older model with FS2004
and that worked well, I could probably try to get it on eBay.
Please, could someone post a few recommandations w/ features and/or
comparisons?
Thanks in advance!

Andrei

I cannot argue with the CH suggestions but I think that will be over
your budget.

I suggest looking for a Saitek X45 on ebay. I have it and use it for
Flight Simulator, other flying games as well as space sims and the very
occasional racing game. Brand new they were like $80. So on ebay I
would spend $20-$30 for one.

I would not recommend the Saitek Cyborg. I got one for Christmas and it
isn't much. It loses calibration all of the time. If I don't calibrate
it before each session, I never know how the airplane will fly. Is this
typical or just because this is a cheap joystick?

Matt