Old August 10th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default 3rd class medical now expires in 60 months ?

yes... everyone needs a certificate of some sort.. and the back of the
student pilot certificate for Balloons, Gliders and now Light Sport have the
spaces for the instructors solo endorsements and 90 day reviews. That
certificate needs to be signed every 90 days by your CFI.

Make an appointment with the Flight Standards District Office in your area,
or a local DPE.
Bring the required ID and proof of health, for the Sport Pilot, that means a
valid drivers license.
Your CFI should know where to go... and don't let him send you to an AME
(Medical Dr) for it.

BT
CFI-G

"Rocky Stevens" wrote in message
On Aug 10, 12:43 am, Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:55 pm, "BT" wrote:

There is no "student's certificate" for sport pilots, just
endorsements in the logbook (i.e. to solo, to fly in certain
airspaces, etc).

Rocky, I believe that there is a requirement for a Student Pilot
Certificate.http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...cation/sport_p...

I stand corrected; I thought everything was done via endorsements. So
what is the student certificate required for? Is it for soloing, like
the student certificate for PPL? Not that I am going to be soloing
anytime soon, but if I need to get one I might as well get it out of
the way.

I guess it IS needed for soloing...
From http://www.sportpilot.org/newpilot/steps.html:

"Acquisition of a Student Sport Pilot Certificate: Before you may
engage in solo flight training, you will need a Student Sport Pilot
Certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)."