Old December 3rd 04, 06:47 PM
John Galban

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message . com...

For me this gave rise to the question why AOPA puts a plane on the
sweepstakes that makes this decision so tough. Seems to me there will be
more "Sell"ers than "Keep"ers for this kind of plane in the world out there.
So what's next? A nice old Lear 23, beautifully restored?

I would like to see planes that more people can afford to keep....

So, you'd rather that AOPA gave away a clapped out C-150 every year?
Just kidding. It's not only the tax bill that keeps the winners
selling. Often the plane that they won does not really fit the
winner's mission profile. So, on top of a big tax bill (even if they
give away a more modest airplane), you're stuck with a plane that
doesn't necessarily fit the kind of flying that you do. Why keep it?

The current plane is an excellent example. If I were in the market
for a twin, the Twin Comanche would be near the top of my list.
Unfortunately, it really doesn't fit my mission profile (a lot of
backcountry flying). If I won it I'd certainly sell.

I seem to recall that within the past few years, AOPA pilot had a
"where are they now" article on the giveaway planes. All but a few
were immediately sold by the winners.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)