Old March 19th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

Default Flying from North America to Hawaii

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Al G" wrote:
Well, there is the Adak - Midway - Honolulu route. I think the
longest leg, Adak/Midway is about 1400nm.

It may be showing incorrect results, but the Google Earth product's
measuring tool shows the distance from Adak, Ak to Midway Atoll at about
1800 nm.

The only other route (not all the intermediate steps worked out!) seems to
be:

Aleution island chain - Yokohama, Japan - due south to Saipan via
another
chain of islands - Palikir Island via some other possible smaller island
stops - Wake Island - Midway Atoll.

The Wake/Midway leg appears to be about 1200 sm or ~1040 nm.

A lat/long calculation showed 1421nm, but it is still a long way. I think my
longest
solo/single engine leg was around 2100nm. At least coming from the West your
odds of a tailwind are improved.

Al G