Old December 31st 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

Default Interesting read

Correct, when they were nuclear bombers. The tanker package only arrived
in 1961-2, A4D/A-4's did all the tanking for CVA's with two wing
mounted fuel tanks and a centerline "buddy package." VQ had a few
A3D-1Q's, the A-3 versions (TA-3B, VA-3B, RA-3B, EA-3B) came in in 1960,
and the bomber conversions (KA-3B, EKA-3B, ERA-3B) started about 1965.
The Forrestal class carriers were built as strategic platforms (remember
the "Revolt of the Admirals"?) until 1963 when the nuclear triad of
ballistic missile subs, B-52's, and ICBM's took over strategic missions.
CVA's had nuclear missions in Sixth and Seventh Fleet, with A-3's,
A-4's, and A-1's. The high level bombing that the A-3 was designed for
became low level missions, with all three Navy attack planes proficient
in pop-up and loft bombing maneuvers. We used radar bomb scoring sites
(RBS) in Jacksonville (navy) and Charlotte (usaf) as well as portable
usaf rbs units that moved around to give us a real challenge with
different targets. We had practice bomb sites (mk 56 (?) iron bombs with
phosphorous charge in nose) and practice -larger- bombs at Lake George,
FL (a semi-sunken LST in the center was the aim point) and Stumpy Point,
NC. In the Med we dropped the practice bombs on a target at RAF El Adem,
Libya; RBS was a navy site at Naples. Heavy Attack Wing ONE at NAS
Sanford, FL (I think it was the last 'type' command left then)
maintained bombing scores and posted the top ten B/N's for the prior
month on a "totem pole" outside the Navy Exchange. Under 200' (our
ASB-1A - an electro-mechanical analog computer with radar and optic
sights - based on the WWII Norden bomb sight had a mechanical tolerance
of 1200', under that we figured was real good,) got us a patch for the
"Bulls Eye" club, with strips for second and subsequent awards. Whidbey
Island was the west coast counterpart (how they flew off 27-C Essex
class carriers amazed me!) and in 1962 - with the last A-3B's 147xxx
BuNo's - got the digital ASB-7 bombing systems I figured because the
A3J/A-5A was arriving at NAS Sanford. It is interesting to note that
Bombardier/Navigators in the A3D/A-3B up to 1961 could be nugget Naval
Aviators, NAO(B)/Naval Aviation Observer B/N (prior to NFO's,) or
enlisted air crew bombardier/navigators. The third crewman who sat
facing rear immediately behind the plane commander was an enlisted
aircrewman, trained as a gunner/navigator. Heavy Attack had to be the
best opportunity for aviators (largest plane, single pilot,) NAO's (best
seat and duties for NAO's,) and enlisted aircrewmen (who could be
gunner/navigators or bombardier/navigators.)

The rest you know. The Vigilante wasn't a good bomber but it got
converted to the recce RA-5C which in Viet Nam had the highest percent
loss rate along with the F-8. A-3's were too valuable/risky for bombing
so became highly cherished tankers, active ECM, and recon planes. The
A-3A first flew in 1952, had no ejection seats (which is probably why so
many survived, no one wanted to jump out of one,) and retired from Naval
service in 1993. Several still fly for Hughes Aircraft in California.
USAF bought a Douglas derivative a/c, the B-66, and the Army flew one
(with a Naval Reservist crew) for missile testing. It was the largest
plane to fly regularly from a carrier, and it holds the record for
catapult shot weight, thirteen at 84,000# from Independence on August
25, 1959.

It was quite a plane.
Joel McEachen VAH-5 Mushmouths

Greasy Rider wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:46:22 GMT, "J.McEachen"
postulated :

VAH-5

VAH-5 flew A3D s ... correct?