Old June 5th 13, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default fin/wing tanks freezing

On Jun 5, 9:23*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
I fly a Ventus C with integral tanks (no Bags) any issues with antifreeze and carbon/fiberglass tanks? *What would be the recommended amount? *Sounds like an environmental hazard to dump, and I certainly dont want to land wet unless I have to.

I have had issues with the Ventus fully loaded with water where the flaps seem to stick a bit. *Not sure if it was a freezing leak or what, but was a little scary. *Frozen rudder must not have been too fun.

Matt

The factory probably has a recommended antifreeze agent; if so, use
that. In the absence of such a recommendation, I would probably use
propylene glycol-based antifreeze intended for winterizing RVs and
cabins; it is pretty safe stuff. I would be very wary about using
ethylene glycol antifreeze unless I knew for certain that the ballast
system bags, tanks, linings, plumbing, seals, and valves were all
compatible with it. And even then I probably wouldn't use it for
environmental reasons.

Thanks, Bob K.