Old April 16th 04, 06:24 PM
John Hairell

On 16 Apr 2004 11:31:56 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

That should be something along the lines of "Libertas Defensores" for
the latter.

Actually the exact phrase on the patch is "Libertatem Defendimus" according to
the web site Tex put up, its means "Liberty We Defend".

"Death and Destruction" would be "Mors et Eversio".

The original patch said "Mors et Destructio" which sounds like Death and
Destruction to me, but as you can see, I'm not Latin expert.

Just because it's in Latin and is an approved motto doesn't mean it's
correct Latin. There's been some minor controversy over the years at
the Army Institute of Heraldry for instance that has to do with Latin
mottos. The designers may be up on their heraldry but may be a bit
rusty on their Latin.

With foreign-language mottos the meaning to native speakers may not be
exactly what the heraldry designers say it is. That's one of the
perils of using non-English mottos. At least in the Army several unit
crest designs had to be revoked after approval because it was later
determined there were language errors on them. Sometimes it's a
spello, and other times there's an unintentional or just plain wrong
meaning. You would hope most of these issues would be caught in the
design and approval process but that's not always the case.

John Hairell