Old September 28th 04, 02:46 PM
Michael

"Jay Honeck" wrote
Wheel pants are not structural -- although you wouldn't know it by their
cost. There is nothing in the FARs barring an A&P/IA from making field
repairs to non-structural parts. (Or even owners, AFAIK.)

Which is different, I know, from being SMART to do it -- but Jay M. was
questioning the legality of it all.

I'm not questioning the legality of this at all.

There is nothing in the FAR's barring an A&P/IA making field repairs
to sructural parts, either. He is also permitted to make MINOR
alterations on a logbook entry, using acceptable methods and
practices. MAJOR alterations require approved data. Who decides what
is major? Well, in the end the A&P/IA.

So your A&P made a minor mod. What's more, I AGREE that the mod is
minor. It will NOT cause your plane to fall out of the sky. What it
may (and I think will) eventually do is destroy a good pair of wheel
pants.

Michael