Old October 27th 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default How gliders are made question.

On Oct 26, 6:10*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
I just came across this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=I_atJwXxcrU

What really surprised me was that while working with resins none of
the workers have any respiratory protection. What are the resins they
are working with? I hope someone here could elaborate on this. I
remember 20 years ago when I played with epoxy resins they were very
nasty, smelled terribly and they were not safe to use without
respiratory protection. What changed?

I ben yusing epoxi for long time now making glydurs, I think that thu
stuff is reely safe and I doant think I ben hurt anybit at all.

Just kidding..................I was sensitized to the Shell resin with
the TETA hardener system; it took a few years but when it happened I
couldn't be in the same room when it was being used, with or with out
a respirator. We switched to the Jeffco resin shortly after that, no
problems at all and have been using it for 5 or 6 years now. The crew
I worked with use respirators, but if a door was open I generally
found it tolerable.

And we made a lot of tools and parts.

The "in" thing now is resin infusion, no smell at all!

Brad