Old June 21st 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default US Power FLARM Antennas

On Jun 20, 4:07*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:

and bottom-mounted dipoles. Please check that one of them works and
send an antenna that even plausibly is suited for a bottom-fed
installation on a glider glareshield!
John Cochrane

While I don't disagree with John's desire for a "nicer" dipole, I am
barely going to see the dipole that came with my FLARM as I'm mounting
it beyond the compass and run the wire straight back and down (so the
compass body will hide it from my sensitive pilot's eyes).

The current dipole is *tiny*. The posted photos don't give you a
proper scale - the "center body" of the thing is barely larger than my
thumbnail! Here's a datasheet for what appears to be the same antenna
that came with my device. Less than 4" in total length -
http://www.linxtechnologies.com/reso...-mhw-xxx-x.pdf

If they want to stick with the same supplier, this dipole (also from
Linx) may be a simple substitute: http://www.linxtechnologies.com/reso...b1-vdp-xxx.pdf
(although I'm no electrical engineer!)

So in the end - it could be nicer but its not a huge issue IMHO.

--Noel