Old April 5th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

Default Wingtip Camera

Whoops Sorry, The SD card in the Fuji camera is 2Gb, not 2 Mb.

D.C.

At 07:00 05 April 2009, Derek Copeland wrote:
The video below was made with a Mini DV Camcorder that comes with an

Infra
Red remote Control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Qh95I_YM0

And this one was made using a 7.1 Megapixal Fuji S5700 still camera in
movie mode, recording onto a 2 Mb SD Card. Unfortunately no remote

control
with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7ClqhOeDw

The quality in both cases is quite acceptable for Youtube purposes,

where
they seem to apply quite a fair bit of compression. It is better in the
originals.

My choice for gliding videos, if I was starting from scratch, would be a
small HD camcorder recording onto a built in HDD, mini DVD or SD card.
These are getting quite cheap these days, but I would recommend making a
proper mount for wing or tail mounted shots, so that you don't lose it

in
flight!

Del Copeland

At 22:12 04 April 2009, cernauta wrote:
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:42:28 -0700 (PDT), NG
wrote:

Anybody have a recommendation for a small thin digital camera with
decent quality that might be suitable for taping to a winglet for
inflight down-the-wing shots, with a connection for an rf remote?
Have not been able to find a small camera with remote option.
Thanks...

many digital cameras support infrared remote control. My samsung
NV(8,10,11,15 etc.) for example.

they claim up to 10m range. I never tested this feature.

The suggested USB-wireless remote seems to me a promising solution

Aldo