Old January 5th 04, 10:32 PM
Yoram Leshinski

Next time, on the slightest indication that it gives you problems, do
on of the following:

1. TIGHTEN the screw. I know it sounds funny but it does work to
loosen the screw.
2. If you couldn't tighten it hit the screwdriver's head with a hammer
while pressing the screwdiver down and in the tightening direction,
the try unscrewing while hammering on the screwdriver.
3. if you have a screw that you could remove to the right and to the
left of the one that gives you problem, get a jig that screws into the
empty holes and has a screwdriver that can be then preesed down on the
stuck screw and then follow #1. I haven't used the jig since my days
in the airforce, which was no later then 1971, so I wouldn't know
where to get this jig today, I just know that I used it a lot and that
there wasn't a screw we didn't get out.

Yoram Leshinski

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
(In my next life I want to be a pig)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:23:56 -0500, "Larry Smith"
wrote:

Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell you I
don't like Phillips head screws. The slightest corrosion and they stick
and freeze. Then your Snap-On screwdriver (make sure it fits) wallows the
head out, as you grunt and cuss. Then you have to pull out the old die
grinder and disc a groove in the dam* thing and go pull out your common
screwdriver. Last night taking off a set of wheelpants where corrosion
thrives, I had screw after screw frozen up and had to pull the compressor
out on the ramp several times --- cause it had to go back to the shop for a
recharge.

Time to go to Allen screws. Yes. The entire Phillips head screw
population is held in contempt. They ought to be banned.