Old July 29th 03, 02:14 PM
Skip Guimond

The Civil Air Patrol purchased 15 tricycle gear Maule 235s for towing
and search and rescue. I have both towed and been towed by this
aircraft with excellent results in both club ships and the CAP's
Blanik L-23. Visibility in the CAP's Maule is good, but they have the
observation options including glass doors and overhead panels.
Mirrors are mounted inside below the observation panels.

CAP did have a mod added for additional cooling--and even then the oil
temp gauge shows very high readings. Adding a an accurate digital oil
and CHT gauge, however, shows the factory installed analog gauges to
be reading far higher than actual temperatures. I would prefer the
conventional gear Maule for towing--but the Tri gear works well on a
grass field as well. Might note that this is all in the east--but at
temperatures up to the mid 90s.

Good luck--