Old August 26th 03, 05:49 PM
John Bell

clear to xyz airport, salt lake 8 depature, wasatch 175 radial to
intercept
milford 355 radial. Salt Lake 8 departure is a radar vector departure and
typically the actual clearance is irrelevant because departure radar

vectors
you and when they hand you off to center, center clears you direct further
down the line. However, if you actually had to fly this clearance, how
would you program it in the flight plan of the garmin and fly it without
having to tune the two different VOR's?

The first thing that I would look at is the departure plate. Very seldom
have I seen ATC assign random radials. If you look on a chart, are these
the charted radials between Wasatch and Milford? If this is the case then
you could program Wasatch to Milford and intercept the route.

If this was some oddball intersection not on a line between two VOR radials,
then you could create a user point. For example if you had the ABC 135
radial to the DEF 045 radial, you could create a route from ABC to the user
point created from the ABC 135 and DEF 045 to DEF. The 430 allows you to
create a user waypoint from two radials. I have not had the chance to check
if the 430.

Check out the chapter on route modifications in my online book at
www.cockpitgps.com. Let me know if that helps.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com