Old July 26th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default IFR to Oshkosh without an IFR reservation

bdl wrote:

What is the RIPON sector?

The RIPON sector is the airspace that was transferred from Chicago ARTCC to
Milwaukee TRACON last February. It includes OSH, SBM, and FLD and goes from
the surface to 13,000 MSL.

Per the NOTAM the IFR reservation would be
required for the "Oshkosh Area" which is defined "within 30NM of the
OSH VORTAC)". FAH is 33nm from OSH. Couldn't he file to the
Sheboygan airport (KSBM) and then stay at a suitable altitude and
cancel? After all a reservation isn't required for KSBM per the
NOTAM.

Probably not. The RIPON Low sector has 6000 MSL to the surface so he'd have
to be at 7000 or higher, but aircraft inbound to GRB, ATW, and MTW are
routed over FAH descending to 7000.

But if FAH doesn't work for him, would BJB (38nm)? What about
BAE(53nm)?

No, regardless what is filed aircraft are going to be given one ot the IFR
preferred routes and BJB and BAE ain't on 'em.

Couldn't he file for the airports for those VOR's as
well? Obviously, all requirements for filing for a given airport are
required, i.e. alternate, etc. visibility, approaches, etc. But we're
assuming widespread VFR in this case.

Of course, that would give him a clearance limit outside of the RIPON
sector.

I'm coming froming from a slightly different direction, but my
thoughts were to file to JVL and then cancel and scoot on the rest of
the way VFR. Or Heck, maybe I'll file to KUNU (34nm) and just cancel
in the air prior to landing.

KUNU would be fine, that's as far as you can go from the southwest IFR
without a reservation.

I only ask because your interpretation doesn't make sense. If FAH is
in the RIPON sector then he woudln't be able to file to KSBM either or
require a reservation for the airport. And he doesn't per the NOTAM.

Trust me, this is the 25th EAA convention I've worked as a controller. Nine
at Chicago ARTCC in the area that includes OSH and sixteen at GRB TRACON.
Oshkosh bound IFR aircraft without a reservation don't get into that sector
with a promise to cancel short of OSH, they're issued a clearance limit
outside of the sector.