Old August 2nd 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

Default OSH: Icon A5 presentation

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
and boy, this is a cockpit from this century, not like most of the other
crap on the market.

Too bad it's aggressively VFR-only and,

... and it is a LSA, so I'd have no problem with this.

Who says an LSA has to be VFR-only? Mine's not.

as far as I could tell, completely non-upgradeable - with a nonstandard
instrument layout, *tiny* engine gauges, one com radio, no nav radios,
and a mode C transponder, and that's it.

it is a LSA; weight matters. Out of the video: you can upgrade:
automatic wingfold, retrectable gear, parachute.

And still a fixed, non-upgradeable panel. What happens when ADS-B is
required? (This will happen one day, hopefully in a better form than the FAA
tried the first time.)

It suffers from a 2008 version of the 1940s tendency to try to make airplane
panels look like automobile dashboards. It didn't work then, and it doesn't
work now. Airplanes are not cars, and shouldn't try to act like them.

I don't care about the car-design, but I like the modern and european look.

The "modern, European look" is intended to look like a Porsche or BMW. Car.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)